If your birthday boy or girl or gal,loves chocolate cake,look no further.This one is moist and dark with a soft crumb and will satisfy a chocolate craving; pair with Fluffy Meringue Frosting,Fudgy chocolate frosting ,confectioners Sugar frosting or pretty much any flavor variation of Italian Meringue Butter cream.Make sure to use Dutch processed cocoa for this cake; I like Bensdorp and Valrhona brands
- Position a rack in a middle of the oven.Preheat the oven to 350F.Coat the insides of two 9×12-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray,line the bottoms with parchment rounds ,then spray the parchment.
- Whisk together the flour ,sugar,cocoa,baking soda,and salt in a big bowl.
- Wish together the water,oil,vinegar and vanilla in a medium size bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ones and whisk until combined and smooth.Divide the batter evenly between the pans.Firmly tap the bottom of the pans on the work surface to dislodge any bubbles.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes ,or until a toothpick inserted into the layers shows a few moist crumbs when removed.
- Cool the pans on wire racks for 8 to 10 minutes. Unmold,peel off the parchment ,and place directly on the racks to cool completely.The layers are ready to fill and frost.Alternatively,place the cooled layers on cardboard rounds and double-wrap in plastic wrap;store at room temperature and assemble or serve within 24 hours.
Makes two 9 x 2 inch round layers:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 sifted natural cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water,at room temperature
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil such as canola or safflower
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract